THE SECOND OFFICE OF THE INSTITUTE FOR THE DISSEMINATION OF DHARMA
THE VIETNAMESE AMERICAN UNIFIED BUDDHIST CONGRESS IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
14472 Chestnut St., Westminster, CA. 92683 – U.S.A
Tel : (714) 890-9513 Fax : (714) 897-8760 Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Dear Religious Leaders,
Most Venerables, Venerables, Bhikkhus and Bhikkhunis.
Dear Fellow countrymen and Buddhists,
The viewpoint of The Unified Buddhist Church of Vietnam (UBCV) on the danger of losing our country has been regularly reminded through Messages, Announcements, Circulars, and Appeals from the Bi-Institutional Council inside the country. Especially:
The Appeal for “One month of house protest” against the mining of Bauxite in the military throat in Central Highland by the Most Senior Venerable Thich Quang Do on March 29, 2009;
The Appeal to “Boycott Chinese goods” by the Most Senior Venerable Thich Quang Do on October 3, 2009;
The Dharma words “Protecting the territory and praying for national martyrs” by the Most Senior Venerable Thich Quang Do on February 15, 2009;
The Message “Let us Protect Thang Long on 1000th Anniversary of Thang Long” by the Most Senior Venerable Thich Quang Do
This has been Buddhism’s steadfast point of view since the ancient time in a journey with the people to protect the nation and public that was mentioned in the Dharma words “Protecting the territory”: “Throughout national dynasties from Dinh, Le, Ly, Tran, Le, even though the kindred was different but the National Protection motto was uniform, “Protect the nation, not letting anyone take any single millimeter of the mountain or any centimeter of the river”. But presently, the Paracel and Spratly islands have slipped out of Vietnamese territory, and countless thousands of kilometers of land and sea have been exported to China in the two border treaties, land and sea treaties, that the government of Hanoi signed with China in 1999 and 2000.”
Even tens of thousands of miles away but the echo from the 11 weeks of protests, starting from June 5 in Saigon to August 21 in Hanoi, still resonates to the Second Office of the Institute for The Dissemination of Dharma the sounds of the shoutings from pupils, students, youths, the intellectuals and people in the country expressing the determination to protect the nation against the threats “Down with the invading Chinese! Paracells Island is Vietnam, Spratly Island is Vietnam, Cut the cow’s tongue protruding in the East Sea, Protect Fatherland of Vietnam, Protect Vietnamese Sea and Islands, Protect the Patriots!”
Nobody has garnered public’s mind like the patrotism expressed through the last 11 protests in Hanoi. Even though forbidden, arrested, threatened, beaten, of which the action of a policeman in Hoan Kiem District stamping his feet onto a young protester’s face was a picture that angered the world’s public opinion. However, young people continue to bravely take the streets to speak up their love for their country and people which has been the tradition ever since the country was founded.
However, this valiance was broken up uncompromisingly through the illegal Announcement from the People’s Committee of Hanoi on August 18, 2011 banning the rights to hold protests as per the Constitution. A typical announcement and evidence for Hanoi’s obedient policy towards Beijing which has been the communist regime’s national policy every since 1958 when Mr. Prime Minister Pham Van Dong signed the scorned Agreement sent to Zhou Enlai, selling Vietnamese sea and islands to China. This is a concern and question for the public majority inside and outside of the country.
Facing the Vietnamese public attitude through the 11 protests and China’s increasing belligerence, Hanoi’s foreign policy remains “in the air” within the “16 Golden Letters and 4 Good’s”, thus it has never once raised its voice against China’s firm encroaching of Vietnamese sea territory, of which two new events have not been alerted by the Communist Party’s media:
1. China publicly declared to increase exploring natural materials in the East Sea since July 13. A giant Chinese oil rig, the “Maritime 981” will be deployed to the Spratly Island at the latitude of Ca Mau province. Earlier this September, the 400-ton Fishery Administration ship number 306, has left Guangzhou port for the Paracel Island to “reinforce efforts to implement the laws in the Paracel Island area, to protect China’s sea sovereignty and other sea products rights”, according to a statement from Quangzhou Fisheries Administration.
2. China declared to develop an aircraft carrier in the East Sea in August.
On the other hand, in a meeting with Chinese Defense Minister Liang Guanglie, Deputy Defense Minister Nguyen Chi Vinh promised to “not fight against China”, confirmed “Vietnam has no plan to internationalize issues between Vietnam and China”,at the same time promised to “firmly handle problems of crowd gathering in Vietnam, not to let the incident happen again”. This goes against the wish of the Northern public of Hanoi which includes young people, students, pupils, and the intellectuals expressed by banners and the shoutings throughout 11 demonstrations in Hanoi.
None of the National Assembly representative joined the young people in the demonstration against the Chinese invasion. The government report to the National Assembly on the East Sea on August 4 was a closed-door meeting. In the old time, King Tran summoned all people to Dien Hong to discuss plans to fight the invading Mongols. Nowadays, unlike our ancestors, the communist government hides all national proceedings from the public.
Facing the dangers of losing our country from foreign invaders and their Vietnamese collaborators, The UBCV’s Second Office of the Institute for The Dissemination of Dharma calls on religious leaders, Most Venerables, Venerables, Bhikkhus and Bhikkhunis, Buddhists and fellow countrymen unite our minds and might to:
1. Warn the Chinese public about the Beijing Communist government’s outdated invasion policy against the neighboring people;
2. Alert the international public about the problem of encroaching Vietnamese land and sea territory that China has been perpetrating in the East Sea, Vietnamese Central Highland, and in Northern highland’s jungles;
3. Support the Most Senior Venerable Thich Quang Do’s call to create an “Alliance Against Foreign Invasion” in order to address the Chinese invasion (which the Most Senior Venerable detailed in an interview with Radio Free Asia on June 7, 2011);
4. Call on family members and friends in Vietnam to join demonstrations against Chinese invasion when these demonstrations are organized;
5. Lobby international politicians to pressure the government of Hanoi to eliminate Decree 38 (banning demonstration) and issue laws allowing the freedom to protest as in civilized nations so that people can provide inputs in defending the country, and to issue laws allowing freedom of speech, freedom of press, religious freedom, and freedom of association.
The Second Office of the Institute for the Dissemination of Dharma, The Vietnamese American Unified Buddhist Congress in the United States of America, calls on the government of Hanoi, for the sake of a civilized Vietnamese tradition, to immediately convert a single-party authoritarian regime into a multi-party system as an ultimate national policy against foreign invasion and to develop the country.
Buddhist Calendar 2555. Composed in the City Westminster September 5, 2011
The UBCV’s Deputy Patriarch, and President of the Second Office of the Institute for the Dissemination of Dharma
(Signed and Sealed)
Sramana Thich Ho Giac